Playing with my band - September 2012 at the Big Green Cardigan festival, East Sussex, UK
SINGER/SONGWRITER/KEYBOARD PLAYER based in East Sussex, UK
Welcome to my website. Hopefully there is something for most music fans, especially fans of artists I have worked with, including MOTT THE HOOPLE, DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS, LINDA McCARTNEY and PAUL BRADY. There are lots of stories and photos. Please come back again as I'll keep adding memories from four decades of music making.
MICK BOLTON BAND
We're a three piece band. Phil Little is a brilliant, powerful drummer - he played for years with guitarist Micky Jones of the Welsh rock band MAN. We have the excellent Barry Jones on bass. Together we play my own songs, plus some unique versions of stuff we enjoy.
THE RHYTHM SECTION
The Rhythm Section is an exciting six-piece band - the brainchild of Phil Little, driven by his drumming and the percussion of Vincent Salzfaas. We have the brilliant Simon Shaw and Leo Baroni on guitars, plus Barry Jones on bass and myself on keyboards. Simon and I share the lead vocals and we play Afro and Latin Funk, with songs by Santana, Tito Puente, The Meters, Tom Waits, Steely Dan, Little Feat, etc - plus some of our own compositions. Here's a Facebook post from The Jenny Lind where we played on Jan 4th 2013: 'Superb music from the Rhythm Section last night, many thanks to Phil and the boys and we can't wait to have you back.' In 2013 we played at four of the top musical events in Hastings - the Body Circus festival in May, the St Leonards Festival in July, the Beach Concert in August (top of the bill) and the Seafood And Wine festival in September. SEE VIDEOS BELOW and the band's website - see Related Links page.
I have played as a solo artist for many years in piano bars and hotels around Europe and Scandinavia playing all kinds of music including my own songs.
FOR BOOKINGS PLEASE GET IN TOUCH ON MY CONTACT PAGE.
Jan 11 - Queens Head, Rye - The Rhythm Section
Jan 12 - London Trader, Hastings - The Rhythm Section
Jan 25 - Seven Sisters, Willingdon - The Rhythm Section
Jan 28 - Senlac Arms, Battle - Solo - fund raising event - various artists performing Neil Young songs
Feb 11 - Senlac Arms, Battle (Mrs Yarringtons Music Club) - Solo - supporting LaVendore Rogue
Feb 14 - La Dolce Vita, Lamberhurst, E Sussex - Solo
Feb 15 - Royal Victoria Hotel, St Leonards - Solo
Feb 17 - Oban Hotel, Eastbourne - Solo
Feb 22 - Seven Sisters, Willingdon - The Rhythm Section
Mar 3 - Oban Hotel, Eastbourne - Solo
Mar 8 - Dolphin, Hastings - Mick Bolton Band
Mar 16 - London Trader, Hastings, 5.30pm - The Rhythm Section
Mar 24 - Hastings Arms - Mick Bolton Band
Apr 6 - Beatles Day, White Rock Theatre, Hastings - Mick Bolton Band
Apr 25 - The Carlisle, Hastings - The Rhythm Section
Apr 26 - Seven Sisters, Willingdon - The Rhythm Section
May 24 - St Mary-in-the-Castle theatre, Hastings - The Rhythm Section
date to be arranged - Hackney Empire, London - Solo - charity gig with various artists
Jun 16 - Hastings Arms - Mick Bolton Band
Jun 29 - London Trader, Hastings, 5.30pm - The Rhythm Section
July 27 - Dolphin, Hastings 2pm - Mick Bolton Band
Sep 21 - London Trader, Hastings, 5.30pm - The Rhythm Section
Oct 13 - Hastings Arms - Mick Bolton Band
Oct 24 - Dolphin, Hastings - Mick Bolton Band
Dec 15 - Hastings Arms - Mick Bolton Band
In 1973 I joined MOTT THE HOOPLE and played Hammond organ with them on two headlining US and UK tours. In the US we played at top venues such as Winterland, San Francisco; Hollywood Palladium; Radio City Music Hall and the Kennedy Centre. We were supported by bands such as Aerosmith, Joe Walsh, Iggy Pop, New York Dolls and ZZ Top. On the UK tour we were supported by Queen. There are some rare photos in my Photo Gallery and there is a video of me playing a solo piano version of their hit All The Young Dudes further down this page.
In the 1980s I toured and recorded with DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS. See my Gig History page for excerpts from the diary I kept during the preparation for the 1985 tour to promote the Don't Stand Me Down album. I also toured and recorded with Irish singer/songwriter PAUL BRADY, playing on the same bill as U2, Van Morrison, Tina Turner, UB40 and The Pogues. For several years I was a regular visitor at Paul McCartney's home where I worked with LINDA McCARTNEY, giving her keyboard tuition as well as co-writing and recording tracks that appeared on her album Wide Prairie. I've also worked occasionally as a session musician playing with, among others, LATOYA JACKSON, LOUDON WAINWRIGHT III and VIC GODARD. Since the 1990s I have worked as a solo artist throughout Scandinavia, Europe and the UK.
I was a finalist in the 2008 UK Songwriting Contest which had over 6200 entries. See video 7 below.
The piano isn't often used as the main instrument in rock/pop music - it's usually heard somewhere in the background. I really enjoy putting the piano centre stage and showing what a powerful, emotional instrument it can be - and my audiences seem to enjoy that too. Here are some comments I have received on the Internet:
- Mick, I ADORE Rainbow over Michigan. The lyrics make me smile inside and out. Your piano playing is so rockin' and funky, soo much fun!!
- All The Young Dudes - You play it soooooo gooooooooood
- You've put tears in my eyes - this song is just too much
- All these years later and you've still got it - you rock those keys like they're nothing
- The White Cliffs Of England - I like this song so much - you have a great voice.
- Saw Mick at Poorboys in Hastings - he deserves to be playing to much bigger crowds and none of these videos do justice to seeing him play live
- Your song Under The Glitter Ball was Awesome! Incredible performance - beautifully played
- This song is one in a million and should be a number 1 (White Cliffs Of England)
- Beautiful - a privilege to see you playing such a magnificent track from a seminal album; My all time favourite of their slower melodies! Thanks for this wonderful piano version! Love it! (The Waltz - Dexys Midnight Runners)
- ...seen you playing The Waltz Mick and your piano is heartbreaking and inspirational. Don't Stand Me Down is up there with the best and you're part of that. One of those YouTube moments that you can't believe that you've had the good fortune to stumble across.
- Beautiful rendition of a beautiful song. Amazing playing. A true talent (The Waltz - Dexys Midnight Runners)
- Saw you at the Plough last night - totally awesome!
- I had the pleasure to see Mick Bolton play four gigs during my holiday in the UK! He did a rockin' rendition of "All the Way from Memphis." Thanks for the music, Mick!
- I really like the stylish way you do this - the slow build up, your improvisation on the keyboard, the beat, the way you sing it, the lead guitar and the bass - it blends together perfectly. One of the best versions I've heard. (Cortez The Killer - Neil Young)
1. When You Dance by Mick Bolton and Phil Little - with The Rhythm Section at the Beach Concert, Hastings, Aug 2013
2. Oye Como Va by Tito Puente - with The Rhythm Section at the St Leonards Festival, July 2013
3. Down And Out In New Orleans - with Phil Little (drums) and Barry Jones (bass). One of my own songs - at The Big Green Cardigan festival in Sep 2012.
4. Rainbow Over Michigan - with Phil Little and Matt Novis. A song I wrote in 1974 describing life on the road with Mott The Hoople.
5. All The Young Dudes - solo piano performance
6. Rock And Roll Widow - live solo piano/vocal performance
7. Me And My Old Piano - a song that gained me a Finalist place in the 2008 UK Songwriting contest.